Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Studio Ghibli film poster

Considering all of the images in my magazine and website will be from either live-action films, locations or actor photoshoots, I thought it would be interesting to have some animation as well. This would widen the magazine's coverage of different forms of film, and would also increase the aesthetic range. To do this, I took inspiration from Studio Ghibli films, as they are loved world-wide, feature nostalgic, comforting animation, and would also enable me to represent part of my identity, as I am half-Japanese. So, I came up with an idea for a future Studio Ghibli film and used a digital art app to draw my own original poster for a film I have called "The Missing Piece", which is about a girl who visits her grandmother in the countryside. Here, she finds a mysterious red and blue mask which has a missing piece in its forehead. Curiosly, she herself owns the missing piece and has worn it on a necklace for as long as she can remember. When she places it back into its rightful place, the mask seems to come alive. She then goes on a journey of discovery where she learns that she is the heir to a magical forest kingdom and can control elements like water and the wind. She is forced to use these powers to protect her new-found kingdom from outside forces which threaten to disturb their peace. 

Inspiration:







Screenshots of the different design stages and the final poster:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Statement of Intent